Monday, September 19, 2011

Amy Winehouse and Mos Def performance



Hey, you know what? Mos Def will be changing his name in 2012. To Yasiin.
Here's what he says: I'm actually doing it. That's it. Mos Def is a name that I built and cultivated over the years, it's a name that the streets taught me, a figure of speech that was given to me by the culture and by my environment, and I feel I've done quite a bit with that name. [But] it's time to expand and move on.

Yasiin is a name in the Qur'an's 36th surah, one of its most important verses. The rapper converted to Islam in his teens. "[I don't want] to deal [any more] with having any moniker or separation between the self that I see and know myself as," Mos Def said.

So there you go. Also, fun fact, he has the same birthday as you, Alex.

Article here.

No comments:

Post a Comment